I attended my second Hearts at Home National Conference a couple of weeks ago and had an absolute blast, once again. I laughed. I cried. I laughed until I cried. I sang. I danced. I worshipped. I chatted. I listened. I learned. What a blast to get away for an entire day and night to enjoy fellowship, worship, laughter, learning and refreshment with over 4,000 other moms of all ages and backgrounds from around the country! It's hard to pick a favorite part of my time at the conference as there are many, many highlights--from the main sessions to the musical and comedic entertainment to the workshops to my time hanging out with a dear friend whom I've shared many a mommy moment with. I love you, sweet Lisa, and I'm grateful you invited me to join you at the conference the last two years!
I love taking notes as it helps me absorb what I'm listening to and learning. However, rather than bore you with the pages of notes I took, I thought I'd share a few quotes that are sticking with me...
"Today is the first day of the rest of your story." --Jill Savage in main session
"There's no in-between. Your marriage is either moving toward greater intimacy or greater self-protection. To move toward greater intimacy, focus on his needs and not [just] your own." --Dr. Juli Slattery in the "Finding the Hero in Your Husband" workshop (She talked, from a professional marriage counselor's perspective, alot about the three basic needs men have and two basic needs women have...good stuff!)
"Motherhood is a profession."
--Jill Savage in "Professionalizing Motherhood" workshop
"I'm not wasting my education. I'm simply applying my good mind and exceptional skills to nuturing my children."
--Jill Savage in "Professionalizing Motherhood" workshop, referring to what our perspective/response should be as stay-at-home moms who have college degrees
"Is it the high cost of living or is it the high cost of the way we choose to live?"
--Jill Savage (quoting someone else) in "Professionalizing Motherhood" workshop, referring to one of the questions we should ask ourselves in the decision to stay home with kids or continue in the workforce
"You'll never know the last time you read Goodnight Moon until it is passed."
--Jill Savage in "Professionalizing Motherhood" workshop, quoting an unknown auther referring to maximizing the moments we're given
"Your value and self-worth [as a mom] is not based upon your child(ren)'s behavior. Your value and self-worth is based upon who you belong to [God], and He doesn't change."
--Jill Savage in "Professionalizing Motherhood" workshop
I know some of these can be taken out of context since you don't know the exact context in which they were spoken, but I think they speak volumes (to me anyway) standing alone. If you want to know more about what was shared in a particular workshop around a quote I've shared, just let me know!
For the record, I highly recommend the annual Hearts at Home National Conference for any and all moms...for those who stay home and for those who work outside the home! I loved it so much this time that I think I'll go both days next year. :-) If you can't swing the trip to Normal, Illinois, to attend the conference next March, check out the many great resources available on their website!
No comments:
Post a Comment