"Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." --Psalm 106:1

Sunday, December 7, 2008

the tree-cutting experience

John and I have some fond memories of cutting Christmas trees for our home. Namely, our experience a few years ago comes to mind. It was so stinkin' cold that I could hardly look at the trees for adjusting my hood, coat, gloves or some other gear in an effort to stay warm. As John reminded me this weekend, that was the year I ended up spending half the morning in the car getting warm. :-) Okay, admittedly, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to cold weather. After 10 years in the Midwest, I still just can't get used to this crazy wind chill factor. Snow, I love. Bitter cold temps, not so much.

We really have had some fun with tree-cutting in years past. It's just the getting the tree up--and straight--in the stand that has caused a bit of frustration in previous years. So, with Abby now old enough to halfway enjoy the tree-picking-out-and-cutting experience, we decided to brave the cold yesterday and venture out for a tree. Turns out it was very cold (I don't know why I'm surprised by that!), blustery and snowing. All-in-all, the whole experience was a lot of fun. The snow added to the fun, as snow has a way of doing, and Sweet Pea was quite a trooper with the cold, windy weather. And so was I, if I don't say so myself. I have to say that it helped having a portable heater named Abby to carry around.

We ended up going just a couple of miles from where we live to a tree farm "in the country." While the so-called gift shop left a lot to be desired for providing any kind of atmosphere (Christmas music and the like) much less any sort of gifts, we thoroughly enjoyed the hot chocolate and sitting by the fireplace to warm up a bit. Oh, and the monster Great Harvest sugar cookies were a huge hit with Abby. She also enjoyed tromping through the snow and running between the trees trying to hide from Mom and Dad. I'd say the tree-cutting experience will definitely continue as a family tradition. By the way, no, we didn't build the snowman in the picture below. It was already there for us to enjoy. Abby wasn't sure what to think of it. :-)


No comments: