"Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." --Psalm 106:1

Monday, August 4, 2008

Reverence

John and I have made the habit of holding hands with Abby as we pray before each meal. At first she got such a kick out of just holding hands, and she'd finish our prayer with an excited "amen!" Well, she still enjoys holding hands while we pray (and at no other time, mind you), and even reaches for our hands once we're all three seated at the table as if to say, "don't forget, Mom and Dad, we have to thank God first..." Too sweet.

In the last week or so though she has also caught on to John and I bowing our heads as we pray. We sit and grab hands, and Abby immediately bows her head. And she doesn't just bow. It's almost as if she knows the reverence that God deserves as she bows. Amazing. It always stirs in me two thoughts...
1) Do I consider the reverence He deserves each time I bow my head before Him? Yes, I know our God is the God of the Universe. Master. Creator. There is none like Him. But do I truly revere Him for who He is?
2) What other habits is Abby picking up from me--whether good or bad? Yikes! Talk about accountability!

No comments: