"Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." --Psalm 106:1

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

robin families set up camp

Robins are frequent visitors to our yard, and we love to watch them peck in the wood chips and hunt for worms. I recently watched as they diligently built nests in three different places around our house--two in trees right outside our back door and back window and one above our front porch light. I knew that as soon as I saw them building Abby would thoroughly enjoy learning about and watching the baby birdies grow. So, once the robins were finished building, I showed the nests to her. Her eyes grew wide with excitement as I explained that the mommy birds will lay their eggs in the nests and sit on them to keep them warm, and then baby birds will hatch out of the eggs. She could hardly wait to see eggs in the nest, so we checked for them several times a day.

Turns out we didn't have to wait long for those beautiful blue eggs! Just a few days after the nests were done, eggs appeared--two in one nest and three in another. Abby was beside herself with excitement. We decided that we'd let the one above our porch light alone instead of pulling the ladder out to check for eggs. (I'm sure the mommy bird appreciates that. :-))Anyway, I thought I'd share the pictures I snapped, and we can't wait to share more of the baby birdies when they're born!

No comments: